The Gentlemen Revolutionaries

Dedicated to the Preservation of the First Amendment

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Donate this!

So the claim was made that personal charitable donations are significantly higher in Europe even though they had a higher tax rate. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any reliable statistics across the board. I wanted to compare Norway to the United States but was unable, because apparently, Europeans don't like to do this research.

SO the most reliable numbers I could find was the percentage of income given in the UK and in the US.

Americans, on average, give 3.5% of their income to charity.
Britons, on average, give .8% of their income to charity.

These numbers are reliable for what they are.

The government of the United States does give less of its GDP at PPP than those in the EU, but one may be able to say that our trade deficit makes up for it.
Taxes have been proven to reduce charitable giving, this has been proven mainly by experience here at home (I believe this is the only way to prove it in that, comparing the US to the EU is like comparing apples to aluminum cans).

So the solution- allow people to reduce their tax burden by the amount they give to charity, up to a certain percentage. For example if you owe the government 100 dollars, and the percentage limit is 35%, if you contribute up to that limit you only have to pay 65 dollars in taxes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,
I disagree with your post about the response given by the democratic party. I found it to be one of the better ones I have seen of the nine or so that I have personally viewed.
I found the message to be fairly positive as well as foward looking. Although they did criticize the republican leadership, they did so by saying there are alternate courses of action as opposed to simply critizing the other party. They also offered specific areas of public interest that require immediate changes in course of action.
anyway, see ya out there
ps. eagles suck

3:13 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Anonymous comments frustrate me, but what frustrates me more is Eagles bashing AHHH.

It is true that they said there were alternate courses of action, yet they did not offer solutions or methods, and I have yet to see a bill from the Democrats that offers alternative solutions. The reason I find their position so consistently upsetting is because I would love to have two parties with two different ideas duking it out for the American public. Not in a mud slinging contest but instead in efforts to win the hearts and minds, with hopefully the best course of action being selected for the American people.

It was positive and forward looking but it was very conservative (not in the right/left sense of the word but in the unwilling to take chances sense of the word). It is time for the left to take a leap of faith and try to move the american people down a road of progress.

3:24 PM  
Blogger gurgly said...

Regardless of our interpretations of the statistics (looking at the UK, for example, almost 60% of citizens donate money every single month, which is impressive, I think), I definitely agree that there should be tax incentives for charitable giving and that Europe is lacking there.

Speaking of charitable donations, you owe me $60!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home